Oil and gas are well-known commodities, but did you know that today's waste products can become tomorrow's energy, fuel, and reusable resources through biofuels? Produced from waste materials, biofuels reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and the need for resources such as oil sands and shale gas. Although the biofuel industry is still in its infancy in Canada, it is at the forefront of many innovations that will lead to increased use of greener energy.
A trusted ally for your facilities
Processes and mechanical equipment must be optimized to reduce the environmental footprint, production costs and use of raw materials such as water.
The transportation of oil and other fuels over long distances has become more complex in recent years, while the social acceptability of pipelines is a challenge. The installation and maintenance of pipelines must be respectful of the environment and remain socially acceptable. There are few suppliers of equipment and technology in North America for biofuel production. Those that do exist must meet specific processes and cost-effectiveness needs.
Plant equipment require wise maintenance programs so that their useful life is extended. Conventional engineering does not always offer solutions to overcome the logistical and economic challenges of plant and refinery owners.
In recent years, CIMA+ has carried out several projects for non-recyclable urban waste and compost processing facilities. This "waste" is now used to produce valuable renewable biofuels and various chemicals.
Some of these plants were built according to a modular and standardized manufacturing concept, including multiple modules fitted with piping and equipment transported, assembled, and connected on site. With extensive owner’s engineer experience, our team can provide quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) for any project.
Our experience helps us identify potential hazards before issues arise, allowing us to be proactive and design the right solutions. We consider every project unique, and we can work with your team to adapt our plans to your ever-changing needs.
Here are some of our strengths:
- Modular and standardized manufacturing approach.
- Engineering process: pre-feasibility, feasibility studies, detail engineering, monitoring (QA/QC), 3D surveys and commissioning.
- Automation: control centre modernization (such as interface changes, stop keys, and custom programs for operators).
- New equipment integration into existing installations, as well as equipment replacement and maintenance.
- Equipment selection based on specific needs.
- Prioritization of structural work and asset management (inspection, finite element analysis and asset maintenance plans).
- Petroleum product transportation (pipelines, booster stations and more).
- Planning and management of production shutdowns and on-site support.
Our tailored designs come from decades of delivering brownfield engineering projects.
The vast majority of our specialists have spent years on clients' construction sites and facilities. As a result, their designs take into account a host of important details that facilitate constructability, operations and maintenance.
Our specialized services
Rely on our multidisciplinary professionals to meet your requirements and expectations. We offer a full range of engineering services to successfully deliver your project, from start to finish..
We understand the logistical challenges associated with carrying out projects in northern regions and we are well versed in how to provide regulatory compliance and still achieve project milestones. We also know that a fuel infrastructure in a remote location is not only important but essential for people’s safety. We provide the following:
- Detailed design specifications to contractors and manufacturers for equipment with extended service life, and methods to optimize on-site construction periods.
- Robust remote monitoring alarms and automatic safety features.
- Ease of operation with year-round safe access and simplified maintenance procedures.
- Overall Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) and financial risk management.
Several companies have relied on CIMA+’s expertise to help them rectify solutions that were either non-compliant or had not been designed to endure northern conditions. We have been involved in design upgrade retrofits worth over $10M to existing tank farms to address non-compliant items with respect to the federal Storage Tank Systems for Petroleum Products and Allied Petroleum Products Regulations CEPA SOR/2008-197. Over time, we have seen added pressure from Environment Canada inspectors, and we help our clients:
- Update existing emergency response plans.
- Provide product transfer area (PTA) design rationale and incorporate key features into the design.
- Provide as-built drawings stamped by a licensed professional engineer in accordance with regulations.
CIMA+ works closely with its clients, from local single facility operations to multinational corporations, to implement automation solutions tailored to their needs yet mindful of the requirements for future growth and the eventual replacement of all microprocessor-based systems.
- Control platform diversity for distributed control systems.
- Safety instrumented systems, programmable logic controllers, and SCADA / remote terminal units.
- Human machine interface including alarm management and advanced application development.
- Data integration between and across disparate systems from local controllers to historians and corporate information technology, while complying with international cybersecurity standards.
- Control system migrations.
We are pioneers in implementing Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Virtual Design and Construction in the design process. Our teams use the technology and work processes associated with BIM for the collaborative design of buildings and infrastructure elements.
Adding value at every project phase | We use BIM at different phases of the project life cycle, from design through construction and operation, to sustainable demolition. High-level BIM implementation provides enhanced risk management, substantial productivity gains, shortened construction time scales and significant cost savings.
Faster decision-making | BIM enables constant information exchange among architects, engineers, specialists, developers, equipment suppliers, contractors, and clients. It helps teams to make well-informed decisions faster, thereby achieving more effective and efficient design than if BIM had not been used.
Faster response to design changes | In the construction phase, BIM enables faster responses to design changes or on-site problems, and more effectively supports planning and cost management.
Corrosion damages equipment and structures, putting workers and production at risk.
- Identify risk areas and establish inspection records
- Assess current and future damage to your equipment and buildings
- Provide tailor-made solutions: urgent repairs or long-term solutions (fit for purpose)
From "expert" calculations to discussions on the ground with operators who witness incidents, we do what is necessary to solve problems, contain overflows, avoid contaminating the environment, and more.
- Evaluation and improvement of pump capacity and plant floor retention, reservoir operation level, piping volumes.
- Automation and addition of process water valves, pump isolation.
Integrate automation and process | Lack of communication between programmers and process engineers sometimes places clients in difficult positions. Our programmers work with our process specialists to specify all hardware and functional descriptions. The result:
- You only have one point of contact, and your project will be completed faster
- Greater uniformity of operations
We perform our structural inspections using a risk matrix, developed from our extensive experience in the field. This matrix allows us to categorize the failures observed according to their severity and to recommend solutions adapted to the level of urgency.
- Design of temporary supports, reinforcement details.
- Recommendations during replacements.
- Extension of the useful life of the installations.
The structure of industrial buildings is put under severe strain by vibrations and chemicals. Its maintenance requires working at heights or in confined spaces. We can:
- Offer permanent solutions for repetitive maintenance work.
- Develop, in collaboration with you, an appropriate method to list the different anchor devices.
- Propose innovative drone inspection solutions to save significant costs in terms of platforms, scaffolding or confined spaces devices.
Discover our oil, gas, and biofuels projects
Our teams have successfully completed hundreds of large-scale engineering projects.
With the discovery of new deposits, the Raglan Mine wants to extend the life of its site by approximately 20 years.
Certain pieces of worn-out processing equipment require repair...
CIMA+: a one-stop solution for all your engineering needs
We are proud of our multidisciplinary approach. By offering you everything under one roof, you benefit from a simplified collaborative approach to deliver projects quickly and on time.